Wednesday, May 23, 2007

ice cream and a good book

I churned the Lemon Verbena ice cream tonight. There's something impish and wonderful about cleaning out the bowl and then licking the more-frozen bits that stick to the side off a wooden spoon. Ice cream is my weakness, what can I say? Today I suggested to the roommates that I get an ice cream cart and go peddling in the hood.

Tomorros is the cherry festival at Frog Hollow! We're giving out samples of cherry granita, and I think Farmer Al will be there. Not too sure what else is happening, but I'll be there at 11 in my cherry-red Sox t-shirt.

I'm reading Amanda Hesser's book right now, "Cooking for Mr. Latte." I wasn't initially interested; the watercolor on the front made it seem too chick-lit. But I like Hesser's articles, when I remember to read them. And the Oakland Library really doesn't have much interesting in the name of food writing. Also Reading Fran Gage's "A Sweet Quartet."

Trying to pare down the menu for Frog Hollow Saturdays. I think I'm going to keep it simple this week and do projects that don't involve much finish work, then on Saturday try to slip in a bread pudding (might be a challenge, though; it'd have to be baking by 11. We'll see...)

No comments: